commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA)
Bachelor of Marine Engineering Technology (MET)
Effective Date: 9 June 2023
Renewal Date: 15 June 2028
Credit hours for completing the program: 137 Credit hours
1. Provide a strong foundation in basic and advanced knowledge related to the marine engineering field.
2. Qualify students to pursue their professional careers or advanced studies by gaining the skills that enhance their ability to communicate effectively using transferable and soft skills.
3. Support the maritime sector with successful marine engineers to carry out the engineering watch at sea and maintain systems based on engineering fundamentals and modern technological tools.
4. Prepare students for the assessment and certification as Officer-in-Charge of an Engineering Watch (OICEW) in a manned engine room or designated duty engineer officer in a periodically unmanned engine room.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
(K1) Discuss principles of mathematics, science, maritime language, engineering fundamentals and engineering specialization, and technical reports in the field of marine engineering.
(K2) Identify relevant codes, catalogues, manufacturer’s specifications, checklists, and handbooks. (S1) Investigate marine engineering problems to develop practical solutions using basic principles of
mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
(S2) Examine standard tests, measurements, calculations, and experiments and analyze and interpret the results to improve processes and Design solutions.
(S3) Apply appropriate techniques, resources, installation drawings, assembly drawings and detail drawings, and modern engineering IT tools.
(S4) Apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments, using technical literature and report, extracting information through literature surveys and experiments, applying appropriate research methodologies and making effective presentations.
(C1) Manage safely the watchkeeping duties of an officer in charge of an engineering watch in a manned engine room or designated duty engineer in a periodically unmanned engine room, both at sea and in port.
(C2) Manage effectively the main engine operation, auxiliary machinery and associated control system and automation.
(C3) Perform all work in accordance with legislation, regulation, policies, and practices related to health and safety, accessibility, human rights, and environmental management.
“My team won the BP Ultimate Field Trip, winning a six-week summer placement in the US and Trinidad & Tobago. I also joined BP’s subsea & floating summer programme and was a runner-up in the Science, Engineering and Technology student of the year awards.”
Official Documents required for application to Sharjah Maritime Academy:
- The original twelfth-grade certificate certified by the Ministry of Education.
- In the case of foreign curriculum schools and schools outside the UAE:
a. Equivalency of the general secondary certificate from the Ministry of Education.
b. Eleventh-grade certificate attested by the Ministry of Education
c. Grade 10 certificate attested by the Ministry of Education
Certificate of English language in any of the following certificates and the percentages shown as follows:
EmSAT: 1100 / IELITS: 5 / TOFEL Institutional: 500/ International TOFEL (IBT) = 61
Additional Documents Required:
1. Two (2) personal photos.
2. A copy of the student's birth certificate.
3. A copy of the student's EID card + the guardians.
4. A copy of the passport of the student + guardian (in addition to the unified number, file and family number for UAE nationals)
5. A copy of the residence permit (for expatriates)
6. A copy of the family book (for UAE nationals)
7. A letter from the National Service authority (for male citizens of the UAE)
8. Certificate of Good Conduct - Criminal Status (Applied by the Ministry of Interior) submitted to the Sharjah Maritime Academy.
9. Salary letter from the student's guardian (for citizens of the Emirate of Sharjah and children of citizens of the Emirate of Sharjah) terms and conditions apply.
10. Deposit of application fees (660 dirhams - non-refundable)
11. Student and Parent Contact Details.
For Bank Deposit
Sharjah Islamic Bank
For more information, you can contact us.
+971 9 2089999
+971 9 2089560
+971 9 2089557
Marine Engineering Technology is a rapidly growing field that offers a range of career opportunities. As a Marine Engineering Technologist, you'll design, build, and maintain marine structures and equipment, working with other professionals to ensure safe and efficient operation. With increasing demand for sustainable technologies, this field offers a chance to make a positive impact. With competitive salaries and opportunities for advancement, a career in Marine Engineering Technology is ideal for those passionate about the maritime industry and aspiring to make a difference and a positive impact.
Kick start your student journey with us!
Dive into your future with Sharjah Maritime Academy
Have you considered?
The Maritime Transport programme is designed to prepare our students for a versatile career in the maritime industry, ranging from Captains onboard ships to superintendents in shipping companies, owner site teams in shipyards, harbour masters, port operations managers, Government representatives in international fora. The programme is designed to meet current and emerging maritime industry requirements with world standard training facilities, modern teaching and learning technology, essential skills and the right professional attitude. The programme leads to Deck Marine Officers who meet the entry requirements for the Watchkeeper Certificate of Competency (2nd officer certificate), which give you the privilege to go all over the world and discover different nations.
The college provides diverse educational programs that all graduates may have a proper place in the world maritime industry. All maritime educational and training programs have been designed to meet the standards set by SMA and to satisfy the requirements of the STCW 78 as amended, in addition to the IMO model courses, which meet the conditions for the Certificates of Competency (COC), and set to satisfy the different needs of individuals, organizations and institutions in the maritime industry. Improving the educational, training, and personal skills of students, together with enhancing student’s sportive and social activities to meet the maritime industry demand. The program is qualifying Students for a variety of maritime business careers, giving a special advantage to those wishing to enter the shipping and port business and offshore operations.
Our Marine Engineering programme has been benchmarked against the best in the world and is designed to meet the standards set by the SMA and the requirements of STCW 78. We focus on instilling in our student's confidence, competence and communication skills to meet the demands of a fast-changing maritime industry and ocean environment. Graduates are well-prepared for a variety of maritime business careers, especially in Marine Engineering shipboard and shoreside. Join our programme for a promising career in the maritime industry.